Wednesday, September 29, 2010




David Adkins, Mitch Goodson, Frank Tanton



The balloons were donated by the good members of my senior class.
These beautiful gold balloons most certainly were not donated by
the absolutely awful, sick minded & demented
SORRY BASTARDS of the DHS Class of '68
who
stone cold refused

TO ANNOUNCE THE 40TH REUNION JAM
EVEN ONCE
AT THE REUNION SATURDAY NIGHT.


MITCH GOODSON & THE CAPERS


Mitch Goodson


MITCH GOODSON
& THE CAPERS
David Adkins on Guitar & Carl Adams on keyboards (ed. note: Carl is the brother of DHS Sr. '68 Jo Ann Adams who came to Cowboys Sunday afternoon to see Mitch & the Capers rock the crowd!)


Mitch Goodson & The Capers Making Their Magic!



image courtesy of cindi

Lamar Alley,Carl Adams, Mitch Goodson, Wayne Andrews and Frankie Davis.

image courtesy of cindi
MITCH GOODSON & THE CAPERS (please help us ID these cats)
Lamar Alley. Wayne Andrews, Mitch Goodson, Carl Adams and Frankie Davis.
(UNCERTAIN ID not the responsibility of rbiii http://www.myspace.com/thebopcats
http://www.myspace.com/thebeaugators
http://www.myspace.com/projectxstudio





L to R: Mitch Goodson,Jeff Peacock, WILBUR, ROCKER http://www.coocoocachooband.com/theguys.html
, Jimmy Dean, Terry Collins, Buddy Buie

KENNETH GRIFFITH

I'm sad to say, my old friend, and fellow musician, Kenneth Griffith, passed away today at his home in Dothan... When Kenneth didn't show up for our "Monday Night Jam Session", Carl Adams, and Mitch Goodson went to his house and discovered his body... They said he appeared to have died peacefully in his sleep... I met Kenneth in High School and we played together in several bands over the years... Kenneth was a gentle soul with a sharp wit, and tremendous talent... He will be missed...
Frank Tanton




Robert,
The first time I ever saw Kenneth Griffith play was in an old radio studio above
Hugo Griggs Carpet Store
about a block east the old Houston Hotel
that a lot of bands used for practice. I don't remember who all was in the band, but I believe Lamar Alley was the guitar player and Wayne Paulk was the singer. They did a hell of a rendition of "Kansas City." The year may have been 1968 or 69 or 70?????

I remember Kenneth playing around with a fretless bass.
I had never seen a rock & roller play bass like that. Prior to that, I had only heard Jaco Pastorius, a Brazilian jazz musician in Flora Purim's band play fretless.

It was almost like hearing someone play a slide bass, only with fingers doing the slide rather than a steel or a bottle.

A really haunting sound.

Kenneth was a hell of a bassplayer.
J. Hodges


H, Robert.
I sent you an email the other day, but I’m not sure it ever went to anywhere you could see it. I’m the Kenneth Griffith who’s in several of the pictures that Frank Tanton sent you and that you posted on your blog. I was an original member of Beaverteeth and Strawdog. I also played with Wilbur in a group called Blackhawk in the early seventies, and I played with Mitch Goodson and the Kapers in the mid-seventies.

As a charter member of Beaverteeth, I got to spend time at Studio One in Doraville when Buddy Buie was building the studio and putting the ARS together. At that time Rodney Justo was the singer, and Ronnie Hammond was an assistant engineer. They also had a great saxophone player who was one of the writers of ‘Spookie.’ I’ve forgotten his name, but he never became a member of the group. All that was pretty impressive stuff for someone like me.

Anyway, I’m trying to find a CD of the first Atlanta Rhythm Section album. My old vinyl copy is too worn out for me to make my own copy. I see where Buddy Bui posts to your blog, maybe you could put my request out there and someone will know where I can get a copy.

Thanks for the help. I bookmarked your blog, so you can count me as a regular visitor from now on.
Kenneth

Kenneth





THE OLD DUTCH TAVERN, 2801 Hwy 98, W. Panama City Beach Fla. Phone 234-2102

Looking through the ads at the end of the '67 Corolla brought us this gem. If you remember C.F. Stiles or Betty Koehler, please contact "Cuba,Alabama" and please, please, somebody forward this to Mitch Goodson! (ed. note: Mitch played at the Old Dutch when he was a child!)






I just got off the phone with Mitch Goodson. He is going to drop by the
shop and I'll get Frank Tanton, Doug and David Morris, David Adkins and
Jimmy Dean's brother Robert Dean
, who booked all of us during this period,
over and if we can hold it in the road long enough we'll try to get some
straight info, well, we'll have straight info until a wheel runs off. Mitch
has been disabled for some time now but brought up his working for three
different owners at the Old Dutch. His parents would take him to work there
when he was fifteen.
He said Lamar Spence of the Impacts helped him get in,
The Impacts, there's a flash from the past.
Mitch also had two recordings
make the Billboard Top 100.

We also need to see if WBAM archived any of the Big Bam Shows during this
Period. I know Larry Coe played several concerts there as did all the
aforementioned pickers with the exception of moi.
Later...
rbiii

Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:31:35 -0400
From:
RSRImage1231
To:
robertoreg2003@yahoo.com
Subject:
Dothan Magazine

Robert,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you til now. I am having problems
getting emails out on my regular email . We will be
glad to send you the article and photos from the magazine. I will get
my Art Director to send it Monday. If you will give me your mailing
address, I will be glad to put you on the comp list and also send you
copies of our first issues. Thanks for the history info. We started a
regular history feature in the last 2 issues and plan to continue as long as
people are interested.
I too have some early roots in music. I grew up in Notasulga (between
Tuskegee and Auburn) and went to school with Marvin Taylorhttp://www.fivefeathers.com/MarvinTaylor.htm
.. and was
friends with Kim Venable... naturally was a big fan of the K-Otics. Later
had a booking agency and night club in Auburn (Village Attractions).
Buddy helped line me up with some concert acts including ARS. We helped
Wilbur Walton

put together a group (of Dothan guys) and they stayed
with us in Auburn for over a year. My partner in the Auburn agency was
from Columbia and used to play with Mitch Goodson & The Capers in high
school.
Didn't know if you knew it or not, but Bill J. Moody from WBAM days is
now working as sales manager in Dothan for The Radio People, a group of
stations here. We plan to do a story on him in the near future.
I appreciate the mention of the murals in Dothan. I have been on the
Mural committee ever since we started it. We do have a Music Mural
penciled in on our list of future murals. We have been trying to find
subjects

that would bring us some financial help, but I feel sure that we will
get 'er done sooner or later.
Let me know if I can be of any future assistance. Keep up the good work
with your site!
Regards,
Robin Rainer

"Psychedelic States: Alabama in the 60s, Vol. 1" also includes Dothan's K-Pers performing "Red Invasion" from ' 68; Tuscaloosa's The Omen and Their Luv performing "Maybe Later"; and This Side Up playing "Why Can't I Dream"[according to my files, This Side Up included Ronnie Seitel, Frank Friedman and Art Shilling].
The K-Per's "Red Invasion" is also featured on an album entitled "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah: 28 MegaMania and Elusive ' 60s Garage Punkers."

Steamhead Records out of Germany is selling an ASCOT 2205 45 of Dothan's James Gang performing "Right String But The Wrong Yo-Yo" and "Satin and Lace". Jeff Lemlich discovered that "Wrong Yo-Yo" by The James Gang made it all the way to # 46 on Miami's WFUN the week of March 25, 1966. Any information about Wilbur Walton Jr. and The James Gang will also be appreciated.

If any of this stuff jogs some memories let me know.


http://www.swiftsite.com/gearfab/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home