Monday, September 16, 2013

I still need the address of the Brown store and any information about the status of his birthplace, 519 S. St. Andrews, will be appreciated. Belinda Cook says it burned down and has been rebuilt. His parents are buried in the City Cemetery but I don't know how to find their graves.John Henry's obituary appeared in the TUSCALOOSA NEWS and he was said to be a frequent visitor to Tuscaloosa. Dothan Eagle obituaries would be appreciated. Grave marker John Henry Brown June 20, 1874 August 11, 1930 Hattie McGilvary Brown October 1884 November 1932 I don't have access to the old Eagles and there was definitely a welcome home day for Johnny Mack in Dothan in early 1926. There were many speeches given and the ceremonies probably occurred at The Hotel Martin on East Main. Newspaper articles,photos or copies of the speeches would be appreciated. WTVY was Channel 9 up until about 1960. If you could go through the old Eagles and see if there was a Western Movie program on Saturday afternoon. I'd like to know the name of it. WTVY was associated with the NTA Network in the late 50s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTA_Film_Network According to one account, Cornelia and Johnny Mack moved back to Dothan after they were married in Judge Foster's house in Tuscaloosa in June of 1926. Of course, anything concerning Johnny Mack visiting Dothan will be appreciated. Think he was a guest of the 1953 and 1957 Peanut Festivals. Troy Lewis' wife, Ada, was Johnny Mack's aunt so any time he was in town he visited her. from Sid Segler: My dad's youngest sister, my beloved Aunt Mattie and her husband, Leroy Peacock, lived in an apartment behind Troy and Ada Lewis's home. Troy owned Troy Lewis Men's Store just up from the Ritz Theater on Foster Street. Ada was Johnny Mack Brown's Aunt. Anytime Johnny Mack was coming back to Dothan to visit them, Ada would alert Aunt Mattie who would call and let me know. She'd drive over to Jeff Street to pick me up and visit with him. She and he were in DHS together. I was able several times to brag to my Highland School buddies that I had spent time with the great Hollywood star, Johnny Mack Brown! Because of our upcoming vacation, my personal deadline is Wednesday, September 25, but I really have until the first week in October. Best, r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home